Web Info Systems 2013
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Project 3 instructions

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Question 2

Post  abiweb Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Good Morning Everyone,

Deana I think perhaps we have had (read: I have had) a bit of a communication issue in terms of SQL, server, and so on. From my interpretation, and in the context of this week’s discussion, you were advocating for the actual acquisition of a Microsoft SQL Server (rather than for the use of a generic SQL option). In your most recent reply, though, you simply mentioned “SQL server” again – which could be any number of solutions. I absolutely agree that our database must be some iteration of SQL, so we may very well be on the same page with all of this. My advocating for MySQL is in the name of cost savings, ease-of-use, and vendor independence. With the literal acquisition of a MS SQL server, we would not have such flexibility and opportunities for decreased overhead. Selfishly, I’m also super familiar with MySQL and – more specifically – how to develop applications with PHP and MySQL.

To everyone: Question two seems rather simple (A discussion and support for the technology that will be used to create and support the application.). As has been pointed out, we’re a bit limited in a PowerPoint in terms of verbosity. For our “notes”, however, I could add additional information (to the above) on community support, the pitfalls of vendor lock-in, and so on. Do any of you think additional details such as those would be appropriate?

Kind Regards,
Abi

abiweb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty PowerPoint Notes

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Abi - I see no harm in adding in extra information, but I definitely agree that we should be detailed bu concise given the presentation media. The Notes section could be the talking notes were this a real presentation and would add to the project in my opinion.

Team - I am running a little behind this week, its been hell. So I will get on to finishing up my section and get it posted for review and comments as soon as I can but it might be a little while.

Sorry,
Kami

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Item #1 - Rough draft

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Team,
Here is my sections for item #1:Detailed description of what the Application will do and achieve.
_____

Calorie Chronicle will be taking its current successful website and improving it by offering tracking capabilities and personalization. Doing this will make Calorie Chronicle a database-driven, personalized wellness resource, which will increase current customer loyalty and boost new users and advertisers. It is designed to provide registers users an easy-to-use caloric intake and caloric burning personal tracker via website and mobile app. The website will allow users to input their daily foods and corresponding calories along with daily exercises which will auto calculated the amount of calories burned for each depending upon the user height, weight and activity intervals. This will allow the user to see daily their intake and burn so they can adjust to reach their health and wellness goals.

There are plenty of websites, “smart” scales, and mobile device applications to help users lose weight, track health metrics, and more. The major downfall of most of these solutions is that they fail to provide users with meaningful, practical, and simple suggestions to more easily obtain their goals. A suggestion to enjoy a handful of whole raw almonds, rather than a tablespoon of peanut butter, could help a user to learn new habits and satiating practices. By providing our users with these useful and customized tips to their personal eating habits and exercise favorites, we can generate revenue with personalized and tailored advertising. This will allow the users to use the service for free while also providing our advertisers the most return on investment on their advertising dollars through tailored, localized and behavioral marketing campaigns.
_____

Let me know any changes, suggestions and or additions that you would like to add. Again since its going into PowerPoint I tried to keep it concise and stick very close to our original proposal with added details.

Thanks,
Kami

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Draft (Very Rough) Based on Ideas Thus Far

Post  abiweb Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Kami, i think your write-up was excellent because it addresses the question posed AND leads to our other points of discussion. Using your comments, I've put together a super rough draft (converted to PDF) of how we could use the work we've done over the term with our new stuff. Please note I'm working on a revised financial chart, too, just in case we need more info on how much the technologies involved actually cost.

http://abixel.com/4300ICT/Calorie-Chronicle-Presentation-Week7.pdf

If anyone has a problem with me posting a draft, given the discussions held earlier in the week, please know that my only goal in this process is to complete our assignment well, as a collective, before the deadline. For many of us, tonight is our actual deadline thanks to work and life. I'll continue working on my draft "just in case" as no other drafts have been posted and its getting late. I want us, as a group, to be prepared for any number of eventualities.

Kind Regards,
Abi

abiweb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Term Project3

Post  dac8149 Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 pm

It looks really good. Thanks again.

Deana

dac8149
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Power point

Post  peggywaite Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I was just getting ready to do the power point...Abi--are you comfortable taking care of it--or do you want me to take it back over? I am redoing the financials right now.

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Doc updated (same link as above)

Post  abiweb Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Good Evening Everyone,

First, are any of you in the Denver area? *Holy crap* we're getting a lot of snow.

Second, and more importantly, I added some financial stuff and skill comments to the draft.

I want to reiterate that I am not "taking over" or trying to push anyone's ideas or efforts aside, I am just putting this together so we have something if push comes to shove and there are no other complete drafts submitted to the group.

Kind Regards,
Abi
http://abixel.com/4300ICT/Calorie-Chronicle-Presentation-Week7.pdf

abiweb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty WOW

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Abi - That looks great!
I didn't see anything to change. I'll keep checking back for any other updates from other components etc.

Nice work!
Kami

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty No worries

Post  peggywaite Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Abi,
I apologize if my tone was off in my last post. I didn't mean that you were trying to take over. I just want to make sure that I am contributing adequately to the group. I know it can be frustrating to have a group member that doesn't do anything.

I am reviewing the draft right now. My initial thoughts are that everything looks good. I will send my thoughts in just a few.

Let me know what you need from me. Please....

Peggy

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Proof Reading

Post  peggywaite Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Here a just a few suggestions:

Page 3: daily exercises will auto calculate (instead of calculated)

Maybe add in that we would provide our sponsors with a suite of analytics to show the event tracking to prove how much business we are driving to their sites.

I am going to play devil's advocate on the turnaround timeline. Is 2 months realistic? Do we need to build in time to acquire advertisers?

Those are my thoughts.

Thanks!

Peggy

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Edits Made

Post  abiweb Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Good Evening Everyone,

Peggy - nice catch on the typo! That correction has been made. As to the timeline, I think that it could most definitely take longer from a "getting all the advertiser ducks in a row" perspective. If, out-of-the-gate, we want to have a functional product, though, I think that two months is pretty reasonable (if not overly cautious) for literal development. We can change it if you want, for sure. Just let me know!

If any more changes are needed/wanted, please let me know before 6:00pm tonight. I will be turning in my draft tonight, with a full disclosure that (if anyone else puts together a final product) a revised version may be turned in by another group member. I know that sounds pushy but, like many of you, I not only get to go to work tomorrow but my 1 hour commute is probably going to be more like 4 thanks to this blizzard.

Does anyone have a strong objection to me submitting the draft tonight? If so, please note it before 6:00pm and provide a reasonable (complete) alternative version of our assignment.

Kind Regards,
Abi

abiweb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Approved here unless I see something else to compare

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm good to go with that presentation as I haven't seen anything else so I can't compare.

Excellent work and thanks again for pushing it over the top it looks great and is much better than the other teams I saw posted!
Kami

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty No objections

Post  peggywaite Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for your insights on the timeline. All of this stuff is pretty new to me. Smile I appreciate your patience with me.

I have no objections for turning in the presentation. I really appreciate everyone. Your blizzard is heading my way--if you could stop that--that would be great. Smile

Peggy

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty SNOW!!!!

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Its miserable, I have so much snow to scoop, and honestly with the recent surgery Its going to take me like 10 hrs cuz I can't lift over 30lbs at a time...

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty :(

Post  peggywaite Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd come and shovel your know--but it's a bit of a drive. Smile

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Timeline

Post  Keilor Brown Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm

If it hasn't been submitted, I think we could go into depth a little more with the timeline.

Phase 1: Wireframes, Database definiton (table structures), food/nutrient research. (1 week)

Phase 2: SQL Database design. (1 week)

Phase 3: Front End (HTML/CSS/Java/JQuery) design. (1 week)

Phase 4: Back End Development: PHP coding to link front end with SQL queries. (1 week)

Phase 5: In-house testing. (3 days)

Phase 6: Focus Group Testing. (1 week)

Phase 7: Bug Fixes based on feedback. (3-5 days)

Phase 8: Launch (1 day)

Total Time: 6 weeks (8 weeks maximum)

Thanks for doing the work again.. haha. you're a boss. cheers

Keilor Brown
Admin

https://webinfosystems2013.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Re: Term Project 3 instructions

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 pm

ya it is a drive and I'd feel way to guilty to have someone else do it... I'm bundling up and doing what I can before the walking dead and shameless!

Last edited by KamiNel on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Submission Complete

Post  KamiNel Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Things have been turned in and Abi unplugged for the night. I am going to as well as I am shoveling then walking dead and shameless is on.

Thanks everyone!
Kami

KamiNel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Thank you!

Post  peggywaite Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 am

Thanks!

peggywaite
Admin

Back to top Go down

Term Project 3 instructions - Page 2 Empty Re: Term Project 3 instructions

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2